March 5 & 12, 2013 (two 90-minute sessions)
4-5:30 PM Pacific/7-8:30 PM Eastern
Traditional classroom management approaches tend to focus on getting students to comply with rules through the use of extrinsic rewards and punishments.
These coercive approaches produce, at best, short-term obedience and have the potential to thwart the development of many positive student behaviors and dispositions that we promote in our classrooms.
This workshop presents an alternative classroom management approach rooted in intrinsic motivation and designed to create a learning environment in which students work hard, work together, and work with purpose.
National Board Certified Teacher Steve Reifman will present a series of classroom-tested ideas, strategies, activities, and resources that will help teachers:
- encourage students to invest their hearts and minds in the class mission
- establish a strong sense of purpose in their classrooms so that students find meaning in their work, experience joy, and understand the many reasons why pursuing an education matters so much for their futures
- establish the routines, procedures, and expectations necessary to create a classroom environment in which students consistently behave well and produce quality work
- incorporate meaningful goal-setting, reflection, and self-evaluation into their classroom practice to enable children to improve their behavior
- understand the problems associated with the use of extrinsic motivation
- learn how to nurture the intrinsic motivation to learn and grow that all students possess
This workshop consists of two 90-minute sessions, which will be held live on our online webinar/workshop platform. Participants will be able to ask Steve questions during and after each session, and the recordings will be posted for download after each live session.
Participants who aren't able to join the live sessions will be able to ask Steve questions via email or our workshop discussion forum, where we will respond to questions and share additional materials to support your use of the strategies in your classroom.
If you would prefer to access all three hours of content in one sitting, you can simply download the presentation recordings after the second session.
Cost: $199 per person
Group rate: $199 for the first participant + $99 for each additional participant
Site license: $699 for entire staff at one school (available via on-demand video after the second session)
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-861-5172.
Quality PD Guarantee
We're fully committed to offering professional development that will make a difference for your practice as an educator. If you are not completely satisfied with this workshop, contact us and we will provide a full refund.
Who Should Participate?
- New teachers who are looking to improve their classroom management skills
- Veteran teachers who understand the limitations and frustrations of traditional approaches that rely on extrinsic motivation and are looking for a fresh approach and new ideas
- Principals and assistant principals who are seeking to help support classroom management approaches based on intrinsic motivation
- Curriculum directors, assistant superintendents, and superintendents seeking to improve classroom management and school culture across their districts
Paying via Purchase Order
To register an individual or group via Purchase Order, select the "Purchase Order" option on our registration form. You will receive a confirmation and invoice via email a short time later.
About Steve Reifman
Steve Reifman is a National Board Certified elementary school teacher, author, and speaker in Santa Monica, CA. He has written several books for educators and parents, including Changing Kids’ Lives One Quote at a Time, Eight Essentials for Empowered Teaching and Learning, K-8, The First 30 Days, and The First 10 Minutes. Steve is also the creator of the Chase Manning Mystery Series for kids 8-12. He remains connected to the daily realities of classroom teaching while leading professional development for educators online and around the country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My schedule won't allow me to participate in the live web conferences. Will they be recorded?
A: Yes, all of the web conferences will be recorded and archived for later review. You can keep them as long as you like.
Q: I'd prefer to access all 3 hours in one sitting. Is that possible?
A: Yes, you can watch both of the recordings at once after the second session. We recommend participating live if possible in order to have the chance to ask questions, but you can also send in questions via email.
Q: Do you accept purchase orders?
A: Yes, please see our registration form and select the Purchase Order option. If your district has special requirements for vendors, please email us at email@example.com with your requirements. Our IRS form W-9 is available here.
Q: Do you offer group discounts? Several people from my district plan to attend.
A: Yes, if you are all registering together, we offer a $100 discount for additional members of your team. If you would like your whole staff to participate, we offer a site license for $699.
Register for Beyond Compliance with Steve Reifman
Please make sure you understand our policies regarding cancellations and changes to your registration