In Powerful Teaching with the iPad, you’ll learn how to get the most out of your iPad in the classroom. It’s far more than just another piece of technology that can make an incremental difference. The iPad gives us the ability to transform the way we teach.
Each day of our 15-day course, you’ll receive big-picture perspective, detailed tutorials, and differentiated support. You can work at your own pace, skip ahead, go back to review previous content, ask questions, or ask for additional tutorials to answer your questions about teaching with the iPad.
The course never expires, and you’ll have full access to our entire program for on-demand access. For additional ways to use Powerful Teaching with the iPad among your staff, learn more about our uniquely flexible format.
Here’s an overview of each module. You can also download a 2-page PDF syllabus.
Module 1: Provide a Solid Foundation
Whether you’re new to the iPad, or just trying to make sure you have a solid understanding of the basics, the iPad Foundations module will get you up to speed quickly. Participants will learn:
- Secrets of navigating the iOS 7 interface, including the most important settings and options
- How to install, organize, and update apps
- The best ways to use the iPad as a mobile document camera, scanner, and whiteboard
- All the options for playing video and other content from the iPad over a projector or on a computer screen, with or without an adaptor.
Module 2: Teaching Live…and Later
The iPad has the unique ability to serve as both a presentation tool and a recording device. In this module, we’ll explore how to:
- Display your iPad using your LCD projector—with or without a school wireless network
- Prepare examples and demonstrations in advance, so you can focus on helping students
- Record explanations or tutorials for students to revisit later…even if you don’t fully “flip” your instruction
- Maintain an automatic running record of everything you show your class (great for math teachers)
Module 3: Manage Documents & Data with the Power of the Cloud
In the Documents & Data module, you’ll learn how to effortlessly manage every kind of file, document, photo, and student artifact. We’ll explore:
- How to keep all of your files and documents at your fingertips, whether you’re on your school computer, your home computer, or your iPad
- How to manage classroom photos and digitized student work, and share images with families
- How to collaborate on documents (such as unit and lesson plans) in real time or at your own pace using Google Drive
Module 4: Assessing & Documenting Student Learning
In this module, we’ll get into some of the truly transformative ways the iPad can accelerate your teaching. It’s not just a tool that can save you time—the iPad can actually change what you’re able to accomplish with your students and how you monitor their learning. We’ll explore:
- How to quickly digitize student work with the iPad (forget about slow old scanners)
- The best formats for storing, providing feedback on, and returning student work—you’ll find the options that work best for your students
- Options for creating digital portfolios, electronic gradebooks, and more—even a fully paperless workflow
- Powerful options for real-time formative assessment and data analysis, so you can adjust on-the-fly
Wondering what the course actually looks like? Here’s Module 1, Part 3, on setting up the various accounts you’ll need on your iPad:
Every teacher can learn
to use the iPad as a powerful teaching tool.
Register for Powerful Teaching with the iPad to get the most from yours.
- Our 15-day self-paced course, delivered to your inbox (and via HD video on our website) every morning
- Four studio-quality video modules, divided into easy-to-navigate videos, which you can also use for whole-staff or differentiated PD with a site license
- PD planning consultation (with a site license purchase)
- Custom screencast support—ask a question and we’ll provide an answer in the form of an HD video, demonstrating exactly what to do
- Unlimited support via email
Format—4 Flexible Options
Powerful Teaching with the iPad is both comprehensive in scope and uniquely flexible in format. Since we know your PD time is scarce, we’ve made this training available for use in a variety of formats:
- A 15-day online course with differentiated, self-paced e-coaching—this innovative format allows everyone to progress at their own pace through each module, getting the help they need before moving on
- Individual on-demand access—so teachers can get precisely the help they need, any time
- Team or whole-staff sessions—so shared learning experiences can translate into coordinated action
- Additional topics by request—we’ll prepare additional videos or written tutorials to address any additional topics you need help with
You can combine these formats in any way you’d like. Powerful Teaching with the iPad is provided in easy-to-navigate video modules, so everyone can access exactly what they need.
No staff meeting time to spare? No problem—everything is available 24/7. Register for our e-coaching course and you can follow along at their own pace and ask questions via email. We’ll even create custom screencasts to walk you step-by-step through anything you’re struggling with, at no extra charge.
1-5 people: $199 flat rate
Groups of 6-25: $39 per person
Site license rate (26 or more): $999
Districts & other organizations: Contact us
Substantial discounts are available—please contact us
School Site License Package Details
When you purchase a site license to Powerful Teaching with the iPad, you get:
- Unrestricted streaming + download access to all Powerful Teaching with the iPad video training modules
- Phone and email support for using modules in your professional development
- Individual consultation about your school’s iPad PD plan
- Email support for individual staff members to ask questions
- Substantial discounts over individual registration rates
- A complimentary registration to our workshop for administrators, iPad Essentials for School Leaders
Justin Baeder is Director of The Principal Center. A former Seattle Public Schools principal and teacher, his professional mission is to improve the efficiency of schools by helping educational leaders maximize the impact of their work.
His presentations, online and at major national conventions such as ASCD and NAESP, have helped thousands of school administrators increase their productivity
We believe this training will dramatically increase the effectiveness of your staff in using the iPad in their work as educators. If you are not satisfied with this training for any reason, let us know and we will issue a full refund. In addition, make sure you request the topics that your staff needs help with, and they can be added to the existing course resources at no extra cost.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What sessions and topics are included with my registration?
A: Your registration includes the full list of sessions and topics listed above, and you can request additional help or screencasts any time.
Q: Can I take the 15-day course on my own schedule?
A: Yes, you can specify any start date, and we can pause or restart the course for you at any time.
Q: Can we determine when to view the training recordings?
A: Yes, all of the sessions are available in HD video (MP4 format), and you’ll have full control over how you use them. You can skip around, pause, and watch the recordings in whatever time you have available.
Q: How long can we keep the recordings, and what format are they in?
A: The recordings of both the web conferences and screencasts are in MP4 video format, playable on virtually any device. You can keep them forever and watch them as many times as you’d like. With a site license, staff hired in the future can access the recordings as well.
Q: What if the training becomes outdated?
A: The iPad world changes quickly, and we are constantly updating our training materials to keep them current. Your purchase entitles you to access future updates free of charge, so if you purchase the training now, you’ll be able to access our current materials as well as any updated materials in the future.
Q: Do you accept purchase orders?
A: Yes, we take payment via purchase order or credit card. If your district has special requirements for vendors, please email us at email@example.com with your requirements. Our IRS form W-9 is available here.
Register for Powerful Teaching with the iPad
View All Powerful Teaching with the iPad Videos
Here’s a complete list of the modules included in Powerful Teaching with the iPad. If you’re already registered, login above and the videos will appear below.
Module 1, Part 1: The iPad User Interface
In this video, you’ll learn about the iOS interface and the basics of how to navigate it. Note: Advanced or experienced users may want to skip this video.
Module 1, Part 2: Gestures and Navigation
In this video, you’ll learn about multi-touch gestures, search, Control Center, the camera, and more. Note: Advanced or experienced users may want to skip this video.
Module 1, Part 3: Setting Up Your Accounts
In this video, you’ll learn about the various accounts to use on your iPad. By connecting your iPad to powerful cloud-powered services, you’ll keep your data safe and in sync with your other devices.
Module 1, Part 4: Projecting Your iPad’s Screen + Scanning
Module 2, Part 1: Teaching & Presenting with the iPad
In this video, you’ll learn about the best presentation apps to use while teaching, as well as key settings to use to prevent pop-up notifications and other iPad features from interfering while your iPad is on the projector screen.
Module 2, Part 2: Preparing Presentation Materials
In this video, you’ll learn the best document formats to use for teaching with your iPad, and how to prepare them quickly and easily.
Module 2, Part 3: Whiteboards & Screencasts
Module 3, Part 1: Managing Photos
In this video, you’ll learn how to take and manage photos for classroom use, without interfering with your personal photo library.
Module 3, Part 2: Managing Files
In this video, you’ll learn how to deal with different types of files on the iPad. You’ll understand the key differences in how the iPad handles files, and how you can ensure that you always have access to your data and documents.
Module 3, Part 3: Collaborating with Google Drive
In this video, you’ll learn how to use Google Drive to collaborate with your colleagues anytime, anywhere. You’ll also learn about the key limitations of Drive, and why it’s not the only app you need for sharing and syncing files.
Module 4, Part 1: Introduction to Assessment with the iPad
In this video, we’ll explore how the iPad can transform your assessment practices—if you use it in the right way.
Module 4, Part 2: Creating Digital Portfolios
In this video, you’ll learn how the iPad can be used to create digital portfolios for students, with details on apps to use, how to digitize the work students do, and how to organize materials once they’re in digital form.
Module 4, Part 3: Grade Book Apps
In this video, you’ll learn about the best gradebook applications for elementary and secondary teachers, respectively, and how to use them efficiently to keep track of students’ work, behavior, and grades.
Module 4, Part 4: Formative Assessment for Mastery
In this video, you’ll learn how the iPad can help you ensure that all students master essential content and skills. We’ll look at specific apps you can use to track students’ learning in real time.
Module 4, Part 5: Using Confer for Formative Assessment & Instructional Decision-Making
In this video, you’ll learn how to use an app called Confer to keep track of what students are learning, while they’re still learning it, so you can make instructional decisions that will help you meet the needs of each student.
Additional Topics By Request
If you have additional requests for topics you’d like this training to cover, please contact us. If you’ve purchased a school site license to Powerful Teaching with the iPad, we’ll prepare additional videos for you at no additional cost.