Using movement, music, and storytelling to improve standards-based instruction
An online workshop with Steve Reifman, NBCT
October 16 & 18, 2012 (two 90-minute sessions)
4-5:30 PM Pacific/7-8:30 PM Eastern
Are you looking for ways to:
- Increase students' engagement in learning?
- Use a rich variety of strategies to help students master academic content?
- Apply recent brain research in your teaching?
Join us for Rock Your Students' World: Using Movement, Music, and Storytelling in Standards-Based Instruction, our online workshop with master teacher and NBCT Steve Reifman, October 16 & 18.
Applying Brain Research
The recent explosion of literature relating the findings of brain research and its implications for improving student learning has presented educators with a golden opportunity to reach greater heights and achieve greater results than ever before. Teachers now know more than we have ever known about how the brain functions, how students learn best, and which types of instructional practices hold the most promise. Though the list of effective, brain-friendly practices recommended by the research is long and varied, three particular types of strategies stand out as unusually engaging and powerful – those involving movement, music, and storytelling.
These three elements offer unparalled novelty, interest, stimulation, excitement, and joy. As a result, students become emotionally involved in these activities, pay more attention, remember better, and, in short, learn better. In addition, strategies that incorporate movement, music, and storytelling improve class morale, build self-esteem and enthusiasm for learning, and increase feelings of student “connectedness” to the class and to one another.
Plus, most of the ideas Steve will share require little to no planning and can be applied immediately.
This workshop will focus on the following topics:
- A 4-part morning warm-up routine to prepare children physically and mentally for a great day of learning
- “Concept-embedded” movement activities in which the knowledge and skills students are expected to learn are incorporated into the type of movement students perform
- Creating and telling novel stories that capture the critical elements of academic content so students remember them for a lifetime
- Using familiar tunes as “Piggyback Songs” to help students learn and memorize academic content
- Scheduling short, engaging “Movement Breaks” between academic activities to allow time for children to process new learning, catch their breath, and recharge their batteries
- Rhythms, chants, and movement stories consistent with the well-known Total Physical Response (TPR) approach to aid students in their understanding of academic concepts through the use of hand and body movements
- Other effective ways to incorporate movement, music, and storytelling into the classroom
This workshop consists of two 90-minute sessions, which will be held live on our online webinar/workshop platform. Participants will be able to ask Steve questions during and after each session, and the recordings will be posted for download after each live session. Participants who aren't able to join the live sessions will be able to ask Steve questions via our online forum.
Participants will also have access to our workshop discussion forum, where we will respond to questions and share additional materials to support your use of the strategies in your classroom.
If you would prefer to access all three hours of content in one sitting, you can simply download the presentation recordings after the second session.
Cost: $199 per person
Group rate: $199 for the first participant + $99 for each additional participant
Site license: $999 for entire staff at one school (available via on-demand video after October 18)
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-861-5172.
Who Should Participate?
- Classroom teachers who are interested in learning more about brain-compatible learning strategies, seeking to improve student engagement, and looking to incorporate more active learning strategies into their standards-based instruction
- Principals and assistant principals who are seeking to improve student engagement and enrich and enhance standards-based instruction
- Curriculum directors, assistant superintendents, and superintendents seeking to improve student engagement and improve academic instruction across their schools
Paying via Purchase Order
To register an individual or group via Purchase Order, select the "Purchase Order" option on our registration form. You will receive a confirmation email immediately, followed by an invoice a short time later.
About Steve Reifman
Steve Reifman is a National Board Certified elementary school teacher, author, and speaker in Santa Monica, CA. He has written several books for educators and parents, including Changing Kids’ Lives One Quote at a Time, Eight Essentials for Empowered Teaching and Learning, K-8, The First 30 Days, and The First 10 Minutes. Steve is also the creator of the Chase Manning Mystery Series for kids 8-12. He remains connected to the daily realities of classroom teaching while leading professional development for educators online and around the country.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My schedule won't allow me to participate in the live web conferences. Will they be recorded?
A: Yes, all of the web conferences will be recorded and archived for later review. You can keep them as long as you like.
Q: I'd prefer to access all 3 hours in one sitting. Is that possible?
A: Yes, you can watch both of the recordings at once after the second session. We recommend participating live if possible in order to have the chance to ask questions, but you can also send in questions via email.
Q: Do you accept purchase orders?
A: Yes, please see our registration form and select the Purchase Order option. If your district has special requirements for vendors, please email us at email@example.com with your requirements. Our IRS form W-9 is available here.
Q: Do you offer group discounts? Several people from my district plan to attend.
A: Yes, if you are all registering together, we offer a $100 discount for additional members of your team. If you would like your whole staff to participate, we offer a site license for $999.
Please make sure you understand our policies regarding cancellations and changes to your registration